Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Off leash hiking


Through the woods in New England. Tika is an excellent companion along these trails. She stays close by and follows our directions with the occasional excursion off trail to chase chipmunks over the many stone walls or, if she's really lucky, some wild turkeys! She has not caught up with any of these fast moving woodlanders yet. A deer crossed out path one day, about 15 yards ahead, and disappeared into the deeper woods very quickly.

I guess I would describe Tika as "trustworthy". She does have her own mind and can't resist the many interesting sniffs to be had, but I can always trust her to return to me. I will keep walking along the path while she wanders, but with a call or whistle (or two calls and two whistles) she comes running through the trees to find me.

She continues to display her agility and her athletic stamina on these hikes. Not often easy, with rocks to climb and streams to cross, Tika keeps up! Sometime a cooling dip in a pond is just the right refreshment.

No comments: