Tuesday, January 9, 2007

"We learn by going where we have to go" - Roethke

Housebreaking was a big concern of ours. Having never raised a puppy before we anticipated exhausting diligence lest our new girl do what comes naturally on the family room carpet. We have been diligent and I think I can count only three "accidents" in since she has been home. Our diligence has meant frequent trips outside and, thankfully, the weather this January has been mild in New Hampshire. Thanks to Tika, I can recount the weather situation from 2:30am, if you are interested!

I must say, housebreaking has not been as difficult as I might have anticipated. Yes, we watch her carefully after a meal, or water, or when she wakes up. But paying attention to Tika really is not a chore. She is good company: very social, very playful, very good puppy. We have been reciting our chosen word for "elimination on command" each time she produces during and outdoor visit and I do believe she it getting the hang of it. At least, when I take her out and set her on the ground she will look around a bit and, I like to think, upon hearing The Command once or twice, will sniff the ground and accomplish that which makes us all happy. All good progress.

Tika is waking up less at night and, I think, is developing an expectation to be put in her crate for a night's sleep around 10:00pm. She went in easily last night and would have slept soundly but for one thing...

Unfortunately, Tika has developed so-called kennel cough. This sounds and appears much like whooping cough in a human and we do feel bad for her. Since she has been largely at home we can only guess that she somehow was infected back in WVa or, perhaps, but something in our yard. I don't know. The virus will run it's course and we must endure.

No comments: